A knowledge migrant is a highly skilled immigrant and who is recruited specifically for his/her knowledge which is of significant added value in business.

Recognized sponsor
If the highly skilled migrant has a European nationality, the employee is free to come and work and live in the Netherlands. Of course, this employee must at least have a citizen service number (BSN) and health insurance.
Is the nationality a non-European one? Then the highly skilled migrant will have to meet several conditions to be allowed to come to the Netherlands. The knowledge migrant’s employer must submit an application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). And for this the employer must be a recognized sponsor. This is a reliable status with the IND to be able to hire highly skilled migrants (faster). Is your company not yet a recognized sponsor? Then this is the first step that needs to be completed before knowledge migrants can start on the payroll.

For more information on recognized sponsorship please take a look at the news articles on our website www.globalRcompass.nl or contact us via info@globalRcompass.nl as this article only focuses on highly skilled migrants themselves.

Authorization for temporary stay (mvv)
In order to hire a non-European knowledge migrant, an authorization for temporary stay (mvv) and a residence permit are required. The IND will assess the applications to see if all conditions are met by both the employer and the employee. Normally a decision is made within 3 months. Once the IND has made a positive decision, the employee may collect a mvv. This provisional residence permit is a special visa that is valid for 90 days, which allows the highly skilled migrant to enter the Netherlands. A number of nationalities fall under the exception rule, so no provisional residence permit is required. These include countries such as Australia, Switzerland, Canada, etc.

Variations in residence permits
There is choice in the residence permits that can be applied for the highly skilled immigrants:

  • Highly skilled migrant
    This distinguishes in salary between workers  aged up to 30 years and those aged 30 years and older.
  • European blue card
    The knowledge migrant must hold a diploma with at least 3 years of higher education. This permit is valid for 4 years and allows to work in some different European Union countries.
  • Researcher according to EU directive
    This is for researchers who will work at a research institution in the Netherlands. It is also possible to conduct research temporarily in other European Union countries.
  • Search year highly skilled
    This is specially for an immigrant who is going to work in the Netherlands with a completed study, PhD or research. The highly skilled migrant has one year to find a job with a recognized sponsor.
  • Intra Corporate Transferees (ICT)
    Especially for managers, specialists or trainees from a non-European branch who are transferred within the organization to the Netherlands.

Minimum gross salary
Highly skilled migrants must meet a minimum gross salary (in line with the current market) , which depends on the type of work and residence permit applied for. This minimum salary or standard amount is announced every year in January. This means that the salary of the highly skilled migrant must meet this minimum amount in order to qualify for a work and residence permit at all.

Validity of the residence permit
The validity of the work and residence permit is equal to the duration of the labour contract. This means that during the validity of the knowledge migrant work and residence permit, the standard amount does not have to be adjusted in the interim for the IND. As soon as the residence permit ends, the (new) minimum amount will have to be met again when applying for renewal.

Mandatory tuberculosis examination (TB)
In certain countries tuberculosis is still common and, however in the Netherlands, almost non-existent. That is why it is stipulated that the work and residence permit will only be issued under the specific condition that within 3 months after issuance of the document (arrival in the Netherlands) the highly skilled migrant undergoes a tuberculosis examination. Again, there are exceptions, certain countries are exempt from this TB examination.

Do you want to apply for a work and residence permit for your highly skilled immigrant, but don’t know which variant and how the IND process works? Contact us, we take care of the entire immigration and relocation process for you and your employee: info@globalRcompass.nl or 0031 85 – 064 7778.