Personal & Reliable

When is an extension necessary?

Depending on the current personal situation and status, an extension of the residence permit may be filed.

If an application for permit extension is required and there have been no changes in, for example, work or family situation, a normal extension can be requested. Of course, all details are crucial to determine which procedure should be followed. The most common ones are for ICT and knowledge migrant residence permits within a company.

Not sure which route to take?
Ask us via of 00316 823 80 801.

Intra Corporate Transferees (ICT)

For ICT expats who have lived and worked in the Netherlands (EU), there is a possibility to change their residence purpose to a Highly Skilled Migrant status. If an application has been submitted, you will continue to work and live in the Netherlands, pending this decision (approx. 3 months).

Although it is crucial to submit an application on time, a current residence permit may expire during the application period. Which may create restrictions on the freedom to travel in and to the Schengen countries, including the Netherlands. As far as nationality is concerned, some action must be taken to obtain a good and appropriate (temporary) visa.

Highly Skilled Migrant

In the case of Highly Skilled Migrants, an extension must be submitted to the IND three months before the expiration date of the residence permit. Please note that the application must be registered with the IND no later than 1 day before the expiry date of the permit. The same action is recommended if assignment is extended. Also, during this process while waiting for your new residence permit, some travel restrictions may apply within the Schengen area and the Netherlands.

Questions about this situation? We are happy to assist you!
With Global Relocation Compass you are always on your way, navigate the different steps of the procedures on time.